Guides

  • Armonk

    Armonk is a hamlet in the town of North Castle in Westchester County. It was founded in 1660 and is home to Smith’s Tavern, a landmark of the Revolutionary War.…

  • Bedford Village

    Bedford Village was founded in 1680 by a group of puritans. During the Revolutionary War, the village, with the exception of one house, was burned by British horsemen. During this…

  • Bedford Hills

    Bedford Hills was originally part of Bedford Village, but the introduction of the railroad station in 1847 changed all of that. The area became known as Bedford Station and later…

  • Pound Ridge

    Pound Ridge was originally settled in the 1640s and officially incorporated in 1788. It was the site of a dramatic raid during the Revolutionary War. By the 1930s the population…

  • Cross River

    Cross River is a hamlet in the town of Lewisboro. The town is comprised of Cross River, South Salem and Goldens Bridge. The hamlet derives its name due to its…

  • Chappaqua

    Chappaqua is a hamlet in the town of New Castle. It was created by a group of Quakers in the early 1730s. The town’s name is based upon an Algonquian…

  • Goldens Bridge

    As early as 1750 there were crossings across the Croton River in this area that were known by several names, “Coldens Bridge,” “Goldings Bridge” and “Goldens Bridge.” The bridges repeatedly…

  • North Salem

    North Salem is a one of the hamlets in the town of North Salem. The other hamlets are Purdys, Croton Falls and Salem Center. The area was originally part of…

  • Katonah

    Katonah is one of the three hamlets that comprise the town of Bedford. The town is named for the Native American chief who sold the land to a group of…

  • Somers

    Somers was once occupied by a tribe of the Mohegans who called the land “fresh water fish.” The land was part of Van Cortlandt Manor and the settlement began after…

  • Yorktown Heights

    The area now known as Yorktown Heights was acquired from the Native Americans and later became part of Van Cortlandt Manor. There were farms here and the town’s proximity to…

  • South Salem

    South Salem is a hamlet in the town of Lewisboro. The western part of the town was once part of Van Cortlandt Manor until it was split up in 1732.…

  • Waccabuc

    Waccabuc is believed to derive its name from the Wackabuck (which means “all water drained away”) River, it’s mouth is “Long Pond,” now known as Lake Waccabuc. This lake is…

  • Lewisboro

    Lewisboro is a town in Northern Westchester and is divided into three hamlets, South Salem, Cross River and Goldens Bridge. The town was created in 1747 and known as the…