South Salem Real Estate
South Salem is a hamlet in the town of Lewisboro. The western part of the town was once part of Van Cortlandt Manor until it was split up in 1732. The area was home to many large farms. The entire area was known as Lower Salem when it was separated from North Salem in 1783 and renamed South Salem in 1806.
Today, South Salem has a small downtown that has not changed much over the years – it is comprised of the town library, fire department, police station, post office, town hall, a small market, an antique shop and an historic pub, The Horse and Hound. It is home to three large lakes in the town, Lakes Truesdale, Rippowam and Oscaleta – all were once summer retreats but later developed into established neighborhoods.